In just April 2015 alone, there were 3,672 consumer complaints filed with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
According to Adam H. Putnam, Commissioner of Agriculture, “Consumers should do their research and understand the contract before signing with a moving company so they are fully aware of all terms and conditions, including what to do if an item is broken or lost.”
Out of the 3,672 complaints, Florida officials investigated 351 and arrested 11 people. These complaints were regarding not just moving companies, but other types of businesses engaged in moving people.
Here are some tips that should help you avoid problems with your next move:
- Start by getting referrals from your family or friends.
- Make sure the moving company is registered as a mover with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. (Discount Moving Company was issued Florida’s 23rd moving license in 1978 – FLORIDA #IM23.)
- Get a minimum of three estimates before choosing your mover. Pay attention to how long each company has been in business.
- Always read the details of your proposals or contract. Make sure you understand everything.
- Check if your home insurance policy will cover you in case something is lost or damaged.
Discount Moving Company has been helping people move in and out of the Tampa area for over 37 years.